McCalls 6240, my faux Victoria’s Secret dress

There is a one shoulder cheetah print dress that Victoria’s Secret has had in their catalog forever, I have been drooling over it and waiting for it to go on sale (it was like $88 BEFORE taxes and shipping!!) I can’t justify spending that much on a little dress, especially one like this that is really only appropriate for going out to the clubs which doesn’t really happen for me much anymore. However, as I said in a previous post my friends and I were throwing a surprise Bachelorette party for my friend Jo- the surprise being the location in Nashville TN. The red Simplicity dress I had made with this event in mind didn’t quite work out as I had planned, so needless to say this dress would’ve been perfect!

Soooo instead of ponying up $88+ for the Vickies dress, I went on the hunt for a pattern to attempt to replicate it. What I found was McCalls 6240, and it is quite possibly the easiest dress I have ever made. The pattern is just three pieces, the front, back and the sleeve. It was all cut and sewn in about an hour and a half. I used the shorter sleeve and straight hemline, and I just made the dress all one piece instead of using the contrast band.

I found a really fun red leopard print from Fabric.com in a very sleek soft rayon knit, I actually like my print better than the Vickies version. It goes great with my red high heels too, LOVE red! I did the math, and I could’ve made three of these dresses (possibly more)  + the cost of the pattern for less than the Vicky’s one too! Not too shabby…

The theme for Jo’s party was hot lady gear and WIGS! We all went out and bought ridiculous wigs, and we had an absolute blast in Nashville! Here we are all hanging out in front of Elvis and out on the town, and one with Captain Morgan!

Advertisements

Bat wings?? No, its Mcalls “Laura Ashley” 6277

I have been eyeing this Mcalls pattern from the Laura Ashley line because the big drapey sleeves look so sleek in the drawn view (scoop neckline) on the pattern picture. After cutting the pieces and trying it on 20 times during the contruction, I felt like I could just take off and fly away with the gigantic bat wing sleeves for this dress! Needless to say I made quite a few alterations to this dress.

I found this bright fun printed rayon blend fabric that I wanted to use for this dress, and I decided to omit the lining for this dress all together. The material is pretty thick and not at all sheer, and it is very soft and drapey so it seemed unnecessary. Plus I’ll probably wear this in the summer and additional layers of fabric in the hot River valley summers = one sweaty gal! Not cute!

The contruction of the actual dress was very easy, it has three sections, a middle piece and the two sides. The problems came when I attached the sleeves and tried it on. The view for the V-neck dress had shorter sleeves and the view for this dress added about two extra inches on the length. I will go ahead and say that unless you have stretch armstrong arms these are way too big for the average woman and you should go ahead and cut the smaller ones. I couldn’t even get my belt around them, they got caught around my waist! I ended up spending way too much time hemming them shorter and sizing them down. The dress was also really long, I had to take it up about 2-3 inches as well. In the end I think my dress looks pretty cute, but it took way too long for something I thought would be a quick project piece.