That’s right people, the days of little Paris Hilton purse size chihuahuas is over. The new hot celebrity pet is the chicken! Case in point Tori Spelling’s white silkie bantum Coco (she must have a good stylist!) and my own fuzzy chicken Jamal. Now that I have jumped on the exotic pet bandwagon, the question stands… wore it better?? er carried it better.
While you all ponder that deep question, I will show off my newest dress from New Look 6802. This pattern has been around for a while but I thought it would be perfectly suited for this paint splatter material. This material is from Joann’s, and I have seen probably 5 people make up dresses with it in the last couple years (Joann’s clearly changes their stock frequently… not!) but I have always drooled over it so when I saw the bolt show up at Joann’s I immediately snatched it up! I thought that the twist front would break up the paint splatter pattern nicely, and it looks a lot like the new Burda twist front dress but less expensive 🙂
This was an easy dress to throw together, obviously the most challenging part was the twist front but that was a piece of cake with the easy instructions. It was fun to make the gathers and try something different. The dress itself is super comfy, you just pull it on and go. The neckline is low but I am not shy about showing off some cleave so I didn’t take it up too much! I wore this o our friend’s outdoor wedding last night, it was easy to move around and dance in and had extra give for the delicious BBQ they served! hee hee
Until later my friends, gotta go make Jamal some vintage outfits!
This year for Mother’s Day I wanted to make something special for my wonderful Mother in Law. She is a fantastic sewer and seamstress, and makes the most beautiful drapes and window treatments, and recently started doing her own upolstery completely self taught which is amazing! She is also a good cook and she wears fun aprons in the kitchen, my favorite one is her Mrs. Clause apron at Christmas time. I decided to make her a chicken themed apron, since I know she grew up around chickens and loves a good old eggs over easy in the morning! Here she is whipping up something tasty! 🙂
I used the Simplicity 2272 pattern, and it was a really quick sew. The edges were binded in double fold bias tape which I found in a light blue to match the chicken fabric. The rest of the apron was just fabric, no interfacing or lining needed. I did sew the waist band differently then they suggested in the instructions which seemed a bit backwards to me, they had the band sewed to the apron first, then folded in half right sides together, stitched and turned inside out. I don’t really see how that is possible with the apron sewed on, so I just pressed the tie edges in and sewed the whole piece together at once. No struggling!
I decided to add some egg yolk decals to the pockets, Chris was throwing away an old white button down work shirt so I fished it out of the trash and cut out some egg whites, and used remnants from my yellow dress fabric to make the yolks.
In the end it turned out really cute and versatile, and I would definitely make this apron again!