That’s right people, the days of little Paris Hilton purse size chihuahuas is over. The new hot celebrity pet is the chicken! Case in point Tori Spelling’s white silkie bantum Coco (she must have a good stylist!) and my own fuzzy chicken Jamal. Now that I have jumped on the exotic pet bandwagon, the question stands… wore it better?? er carried it better.
While you all ponder that deep question, I will show off my newest dress from New Look 6802. This pattern has been around for a while but I thought it would be perfectly suited for this paint splatter material. This material is from Joann’s, and I have seen probably 5 people make up dresses with it in the last couple years (Joann’s clearly changes their stock frequently… not!) but I have always drooled over it so when I saw the bolt show up at Joann’s I immediately snatched it up! I thought that the twist front would break up the paint splatter pattern nicely, and it looks a lot like the new Burda twist front dress but less expensive 🙂
This was an easy dress to throw together, obviously the most challenging part was the twist front but that was a piece of cake with the easy instructions. It was fun to make the gathers and try something different. The dress itself is super comfy, you just pull it on and go. The neckline is low but I am not shy about showing off some cleave so I didn’t take it up too much! I wore this o our friend’s outdoor wedding last night, it was easy to move around and dance in and had extra give for the delicious BBQ they served! hee hee
Until later my friends, gotta go make Jamal some vintage outfits!
Simplicity has a Project Runway line (LOVE that show!) and they rolled out this tunic. I thought it looked so cute- maybe I just really like the blue floral satic fabric they showcased it in. I couldn’t find any fabric that resembled this, but I did find this pretty black and turquiose charmeuse- the last bit on the bolt!
The tunic was relatively simple to make, it was a big rectangle with a hole for your head- kind of like a poncho. The sides sewed up to make it more fitted. The neckline had casing around it which I always seem to struggle with, I just can’t ever get it to line up and not pucker. The tunic also had a drawstring, there are two buttonholes which I always have fun making. To make the casing for the drawstring they called for bias tape to be sewn on the inside with a channel left open to pull the drawstring through.
I think my tunic resembles the pattern photo, however I don’t know if I am really crazy about the look. My husband thought I had made a kimono, and not that there is anything wrong with kimonos but that wasn’t really what I was going for with this piece. It was fun to make though, and it was cool working with a satic which I haven’t used too much up to now.