I bought the Simplicity 3532 pattern a while ago and I’ve been waiting for the right fabric to make it up with. I saw this blue and purple tie dye print on gorgeous fabrics and I thought it looked so pretty, kind of bohemium but with a definite pattern so that it is more put together. When it arrived I thought it was a pretty intense print but I figured with this wide sleeved dress pattern I could make it work…. well …. maybe not so much
Yeah… I look like I just stepped out of the mystery machine. I think maybe I should have opted to do more of a color blocking and used the tie dye fabric on the yolk and a solid piece on the skirt portion so that the print wouldn’ be so overwhelming… bummer man.
The pattern itself was super simple, not many pieces to sew together. I didn’t bother doing the self lining on the yolk ( I didn’t feel like doing the extra work especially since I could see this top taking a turn towards Woodstock real quick). There was gathering under the bodice and on the upper sleeves, and elastic was inserted into the bell sleeves to gather them around the wrist. This material was a rayon stretchy knit and doesn’t look good with a hem so I just cut it to the appropriate length and called it a day.
Ultimately in the right print I think this dress could be really cute, I love the sleeve detail and the overall style, but unfortunately in this case it ended up being too hippie dippie for my taste.
As soon as I saw the new line of Lisette Simplicity patterns I immediately became obsessed with 2060. This is a very retro 60’s inspired dress (in my opinion) with a contrasting neckline and a matching belt. The lisette fabrics that were released at Joann’s were actually really pretty too, however even on sale I thought they were overpriced so I decided to make my own version.
I had this fun retro scalloped cotton print which was perfect for this dress, so I began a search for a purple/raspberry solid that would go with it well. I found this fuschia material which I am still not entirely sure what ts called, it is a polyester on the outside and the interior is a shiny satin. Its a bit heavier than the cotton, but since this is a Fall dress it is well suited. Although I will say that since its thicker it doesn’t gather as well with the belt, but it won’t stop me from rocking it out.
Here is the interior:
The dress itself was not bad, the challenge was mostly working with two fabrics that differed in texture, but they were both very stable soI didn’t struggle too much. The center neckline on the dress piece was supposed to be gathered, however this fabric wasn’t having it with the gathering and it would have looked too bunched and scrunched had I forced it so I just made one pleat instead.
Sorry I took these pictures at night and the contrast is a little wacky. This dress also gave me the opportunity to try out the button holes on my new machine and they turned out absolutely perfect! I was so astonished by how automatic and beautiful they turned out with virtually no effort- I am used to making my own manual button holes with my mechanical machine. Truth be told though, I did screw one up with my seam ripper, but I was able to hand repair it- it doesn’t look as fabulous as it did pre-hole torn but the button covers it so oh well.
The rest of this dress was easy- it was a box dress and just pieced together like a simple puzzle. My favorite part of this dress was making the obi-belt. It was so simple and had decorative top stitching added around in rows. Mine is definitely not pristine by any means, but nobody will notice! I think I may use the belt pattern by itself to make some fun belts for other outfits.
I love this dress, it was definitely a fun one to make and it really has me excited for Fall clothes! I am not completely done with summer yet, but after making this dress I am starting to look for more retro/vintage inspired pieces. My husband and I have been on a Mad Men marathon kick lately too so I am really falling in love with the 50’s poofy style dresses too.