Ah yes, once I finished my new Hawthorne dress I felt compelled to pose in front of Hawthorne Ave in our neighborhood. It was fate!
I made my Hawthorne in a turquoise plaid chambray. I absolutely love shirt dresses, and this is not my first so I found the construction to be very easy. The tough part was matching up the plaid. I actually ended up having to switch sides for my buttonholes in order to match it up just right. I think the placket on the skirt looks a little stiff or off somehow but I guess I can deal with it.
I really like the little collar on the Hawthorne, it gives it a vintagey look with the flared skirt. I read some reviews where people didn’t like that it was in three pieces and would have preferred it in one, but this really didn’t bug me too much. It assembled nice and easy without too many adjustments.
I used these turquoise buttons that I bought at the flea market in a grab bag, I had to dump out my jar and find all the matching ones. Luckily there were plenty of these and they matched my colors just right. I made my dress a little loose in the bodice, mostly for comfort. I find that overly fitted bodices in shirt dresses can pull in weird places and give you “peek-a-boos” between buttons.
Check out my matching plaids! I’m always happy when my matching works out as planned 🙂 This is a great dress, and a good one if you are wanting to try out a shirt dress for the first time. It is definitely less complicated than some others I have tried. Colette is the best y’all!