Gaud bless ‘Merica!

I tried out the new Cynthia Rowley pattern, 1688 and made it up in this very soft red, white and blue plaid. Very patriot y’all! This dress has a sweet heart neckline, contrast straps and and bodice detail.

DSC_0185

 

It turned out ok, although I will say this one was a bit of a struggle. The bodice ended up slightly too big and billowy since I have a bit of a shallow chest. I added an extra contrast band to the back because it just didn’t look right to me with just the front band alone. This made matching up the waist seam and the contrast bands more of a challenge, and hence a lot of seam ripping and hair pulling. I think I can add an odd little dart near my armpits to fix the problem, but the straps ended up being slightly too short by accident. I am afraid taking it in on top will make the armholes really small. I can always bust out the seam ripper and make the straps longer, but for now… I rest.

DSC_0184

 

DSC_0190

 

The back plaid doesn’t line up on account of having the cut the side down slightly to accommodate the zipper, which also makes me a little nuts on this one. Gah!!

DSC_0192

 

I used a navy blue invisible zipper to match the contrast band, but I think it s too dark for the rest of the dress.

DSC_0193

 

For a first run at this dress it went ok, probably should have made a muslin. But I live on the edge y’all, Yee HAW!!

Advertisements