Meeee-yow

Spring is here and that means it is time to start breaking out the dresses! And no tights! Thank you Lord! I have had this little obsession as of late with shirt dresses, and those ole Lisette patterns too! I just can’t stop, I am like a moth to the flame. I got into my pattern stash and found Simplicity 2246, I have made view A a couple of times now, but haven’t attemped the short sleeved version C yet so the time is now! I stumbled into this black and white cheetah print cotton and I immediately had visions of a cheetah print shirt dress with a flared hem dancing in my head… grrr baby very grrrr!

This dress actually went really quick! I think I’m getting the hang of this shirtdress thing. I made the whole dress in this cotton print instead of going two toned as they feature it on the envelope. It buttons all the way down the front and gathers around the waist. I decided to leave out all the interfacing except for the collar, this cotton is pretty heavy and didn’t really need any extra stablizer. Its a good thing too because you can’t see underpants through the white material!

I had to take the hem up about 4 inches, and I still have it hitting just below the knee, I like that it has a bit of 40’s spunk but the cheetah print brings it more up to date. I didn’t use the the button guide, I placed them strategically to avoid any gaping holes.

I am pretty excited about this dress! While he was taking these photos I told my husband I wanted to bust this out at work tomorrow, and he acted astonished and said I should save it for a special night out. Save it? Special night out? I think not! This cheetah needs to see the town! Reeewr!

 


Spring? It feels like summer!

Today was uncharacteristically hot! I think it was in the 70’s but the way I was sweating it felt like the 80s! I love it! In a preemptive nudge for Mother Nature to keep the warm weather coming, I sewed up this bright maxi dress Simplicity 2219. I made this as a birthday present for one of my girlfriends blogged here last summer, and I have been wanting to make another with this bright ikat knit that has been burning a hole in my closet for 8 months.

This time around I heeded my own advice and cut this a size down since it runs so huge. I self lined the bodice since putting liner in a knit is a bit ridiculous. It is much more comfortable this way and has more stretch. I didn’t bother adding the elastic in the waist since I left it out last time and most of the reviews people wrote said that it doesn’t take away from the fullness or serve much function for the dress. The finishing on the inside of the bodice is wonderful, it looks professional and there is no need for serging (except on the long seams of the skirt). I think my straps are a smidgen long, but they have interfacing so I am not too worried about them stretching out- no biggie.

I am pretty excited about this dress, it is long and fun, and has just enough modern day hippie vibe for a summer concert to see one of my favorite bands- already bought my tickets!

 


Vogue 1247 top, first venture down French Seams alley

This top has probably been sewn up by everyone and their mother who owns a sewing machine so I am a little behind the times on finally getting to this one. This little top ended up being a whole new experience for me though since I have never really done French seams before, this entire shirt was made with them. They really aren’t difficult at all, but man oh man were they time consuming! You have to bust out the iron after every stitch to press the seams down and you essentially sew the whole thing twice since you have enclose every stitch. Mine turned out okay with it being my first time, but I could definitely use some perfecting.

All the reviews I read said that this top has a tremendous amount of ease so I cut this a size down. I wanted to leave a margin for error but if it this had come out huge I probably wouldn’t wear it.  I think that this came out really short, I am not sure if maybe that just happened with mine by mistake. I have seen other versions if this where it was tucked into pants and pencil skirts but this just hangs low enough to cover my belly. Perhaps I was too generous in my seam allowances…

I also had some trouble lining up the front seams where the triangular sections met in the middle. I thought about ripping the stitching out and redoing this, but french seams are double the work in both construction and destruction so I decided to be lazy and rock it out sloppy. The flower print is so busy on this charmeuse that it isn’t too noticable (or so I hope!) 

Over all I dig this top, next time I will probably go for a solid and attempt to add some length to the front.