Turkey skirt for turkey day! Kwiksew 3003

Its that time of year again! Lots of family fun, football, my mom’s amazing italian mushroom and sausage stuffing, my mother in laws addicive broccoli casserole and stuffing balls, bourbon, wine pumpkin pie, and yes…. TURKEY! After my friend at work (a budding seamstress) had expressed her interest to take on an easy skirt project to make for her daughter with a turkey pattern, I became inspired to create my own adult festive version. I don’t think I could pull off a cartoon  turkey print quite like her 4 year old, so I came up with an alternative design.  Ta-da!

I found a dark purple corduroy at Joann’s, and I broke out Kwiksew 3003 from my pattern stash, this is a really simple easy pattern. The instructions indicate an elastic waist, but I opted to make it drawstring. I do afterall need something roomy for my turkey day indulgence. I made the tie hidden on the inside so it wouldn’t bulge underneath my sweater. This skirt is a piece of cake- it can be finished in under an hour.

Next I enlisted my mother the master crochet artist’s help. She loves to crochet and I fully take advantage of this, although I would like to eventually learn the skill of crochet myself. I found this turkey crochet pattern and had my mom make it up with crochet cotton.  I prefer the crochet cotton to yarn for appliques such as this. The turkey ended up being about 6-7 inches wide which was perfect. I sewed it on the side of my skirt, it reminded me of something you could find at Urban Outfitters.

How cute is he?? Here I am at our friend’s Thanksgiving party holding he tray of (you guessed it) turkey! Dark meat 😉

It was quite a hit, I am looking to make up another one with an applique that I can wear all year.


Vogue 8663, Blue striper in town

I have had this awesome bright indigo blue wacky striped knit fabric in my stash for a while from a sale, but I’ve been holding out on using it because it needed just the right simple pattern to show case the busy stripe pattern. I’ve had the Vogue very easy 8663 pattern for a while and since it had such an easy and straight forward design I decided to go for it in the sleeve version. I reeeeeally love how it turned out! I think this may be my new favorite Fall/winter dress.

This material is very thin so immediately opted out of the zipper and just cut the back pieces on the fold of the fabric. The pleating on the neckline worked out ok but I didn’t want to use the bias tape to avoid bulkiness. I just make a self hemline, the bottom pleating fringe is visible  at times but it looks like a ruffle detail so no big deal.

I did add the bias tape to the armholes however, since the material was so thin I felt that I would need the extra reinforcement. Matching up the stripes on the sleeves prooved to be a bit challenging but you can only really tell when I have my hands up on my hips which luckily is a signiture photo pose, not my normal life stature! One cool thing aout this fabric is that although it super light and thin, it is not sheer so I didn’t have to bother lining it or wearing a slip. BIG plus!

I think I really like this dress because it reminds me of some of the knt striped dresses I wore in the 80’s as a child (but obviously much more stylish and modern) I’m lookin forward to rocking it out at the upcoming Holiday parties


Medusa… turning men to stone with Ssssssimplicity 3647

Miss J has been talking about being Medusa for a few years now and I found this pattern for different Greek costumes and noticed Medusa standing in the back behind all the blondes adorned in togas. I showed it to her and she was enthused, so the mythological goddess was made!

This dress looked like it would be super easy to make but I swear this ended up being one of the most difficult pieces I have ever sewn. The pattern suggested linen and satin and crepe, pretty much all different fabrics. She wanted something flowy and satiny so we found this black satiny material which is already a challenge to work with on its own.

The top had a crossover effect and cap sleeves and a long skirt with side slits. She wanted one high slit up the front so I stitched the sides and cut the slit up the front. This was fine, however the material really puckered no matter how much I ironed it so it was less than perfect. The top ended up being really boxy so I took it in a few times, but this dress was meant to be pulled on over the head and cinched so I had to leave a bit a room so it wasn’t quite as fitted as she wanted. The neckline had to be hand tacked down which I am never crazy about doing but it had to be done.  She wasn’t nuts about the big She-ra belt in the photo so we just opted for some black cord as a belt.

The drape piece was also a challenge, it was just 3 long rectangular pieces and two were to connect at the shoulder and have some pleating but this shiney crepe material wasn’t having that. I decided to make it into a long shawl piece. I think this worked better anyhow, she could play around with it and wrap it however she wanted.

Last was the fun part- the snakes! I used a green crushed velour material and wrapped it around pipecleaners. I sewed little heads for them and glued on sequins for the eyes. I made a ton of them so they would cover her head, they looked pretty sweet!

This costume was a challenge, I wish we had picked a linen or even a soft cotton material but she really enjoyed wearing it and got a lot of compliments so I consider it a successful Halloween costume.